About QuickBooks Error 6190, -82
|Error Code:||Error 6190, -82||Developer:||Intuit Inc.|
|Error Description:||QuickBooks was unable to open the file [pathfilename] on the host is an error that can occur when running QuickBooks in multi-user mode on Windows Server||Software:||QuickBooks|
|Cause:||QuickBooks is being accessed remotely from a server, QuickBooks is trying to open the .TLG (Transaction Log file) instead of the company file.||Applies to:||Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8|
|Symptoms:||QuickBooks Desktop won’t respond or work, Windows operating system got frezon.||Possible Solution:||QB misreads .TLG file for .QBW file, QuickBooks is being accessed Remotely.|
Using QuickBooks is as easy as pie. It simplifies the arduous accounting processes through numerous tools and features. In fact, QB is one of the best accounting programs on the markets and is the best option for non-accountants. QuickBooks Error 6190, -82 is part of the QuickBooks 6000 error series and can cause various issues while using this acclaimed accounting software.
- 1 About QuickBooks Error 6190, -82
- 2 Side-Effects of QuickBooks Error -6190, -82
- 3 When does QuickBooks Error 6190, -82 occur?
- 4 Easy Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 6190, -82
- 5 FAQ
Side-Effects of QuickBooks Error -6190, -82
- The company file is corrupted because of the imbalance as referenced previously. The user loses all improtant files that are saved inside the company data (QBW) file.
- This intercept the access of the client to the file since it might have been opened by another client previously.
When does QuickBooks Error 6190, -82 occur?
QuickBooks Error 6190,-82 occurs due to the following reasons:
- QuickBooks is trying to open the .TLG (Transaction Log file) instead of the company file.
- QuickBooks is being accessed remotely from a server
- Firewall settings
QB misreads .TLG file for .QBW file
Myriad underlying issues can cause the error 6190. Still, the code that follows it, in this case, -82, helps us in narrowing down the underlying causes for this error. There are multiple instances in which QB can fail to realize the difference between the .TLG (Transaction Log file) file and .QBW file. In such a case, QB throws the Error 6190, -82. Follow the steps given below for resolving this issue.
Read also QuickBooks Error 6190, 816
- Log into your computer with administrative privileges.
- Search the system for .tlg file.
- Right click on the file and click Open Location.
- Right click on the original file and hit delete.
- Now open QuickBooks without logging off or restarting your PC.
- QB will be able to recognize the correct company file.
- Now restart your computer.
- After restart, log into QuickBooks. QB will automatically create the .tlg file again.
Still, this time it won’t confuse it with the company file. Press F2 to check the current company file and its location. You can also change the location of the company file manually, though this will require a few extra steps.
For doing so, follow the steps given below:
- Log into QB with administrative privileges.
- Go to file and click on Open or restore an existing company.
- Click on Open a company file.
- Hit next.
- Browse to the directory of your company file.
- Select the company file and hit Open.
This will change the current location of the company file. Also, you will be able to import all the data from this company file without encountering QuickBooks Error 6190, -82.
QuickBooks is being accessed Remotely
Follow these steps for resolving this error:
- Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL
- Select Task manager.
- Select the Processes tab.
- Select the main QB process.
- Right-click on that process.
- Click on End Process Tree.
- Run and log into QB again.
This should resolve the issue. Once QB restarts, it will create new log files hence removing any confusion with the location of the actual company file. Restart your PC and login into QB.
Easy Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 6190, -82
Here are some possible solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 6190, -82. Before processing to resolve the QuickBooks Error 6190, -82, make sure to check the all steps.
Solutions 1: Update QuickBooks Desktop
You need to perform QuickBooks Desktop Update to resolve QuickBooks Error 6190, -82. To do so just follow all steps mentioned below:
- Go to the start menu.
- Right-click on the QuickBooks icon and select run as administrator.
- Go to the help menu and choose to update QuickBooks.
- Click on check for updates.
- In the get, updates tab select the option to reset updates.
- Then choose to update QuickBooks now.
- When the download of the update file has finished, exit QuickBooks.
Solutions 2: Download and Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- From the Tool Hub select the option Company File Issues.
- Then, Click on Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the drop-down menu. (Note: The file doctor can take up to one minute to open).
- If the QuickBooks File Doctor does not open, look for QuickBooks Desktop File Doc and manually open it.
- Select your company files from the drop-down option in QuickBooks File Doctor. If you don’t see your file, choose Browse and search to locate it.
- Select Check your file (just the middle option) and then proceed.
- After entering your QuickBooks admin select the Next option.
Solutions 3: Rename the .ND and .TLG Files
- Open the folder containing your company’s information.
- Look for files with the same name as your corporate files.
- Select Rename from the context menu when you right-click each file. At the end of each file name, add the term OLD (For Reference- company file.qbw.nd.OLD.).
- Restart QuickBooks and try to log in to your company file again.
Solutions 4: Copy your company files to Desktop
- Locate an open the folder having QuickBooks files
- Find the file with QBW extension
- Select the file and do a right-click on it
- Then click on the Copy option to copy the file
- Go to the Desktop and then right-click on desktop space
- Choose option Paste to paste the file you copied above
- Now, press the Ctrl key from the keyboard and hold it until you get the No Company Open Window in the QuickBooks program
- Then release the ctrl key when No Company open window opens up
- Then click on the Open or Restore company option
- Open the file that you copy and pasted on the desktop
- After that, you’re done
Need Professional Help?
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
You might also be interested to read the topic on How to Fix QuickBooks Error -6190 -816
Is there any fastest way to resolve the QuickBooks Error 6190, -82?
Yes, to fix this error update your current version to the most recent release, once the program is completed then open your QuickBooks again to check whether the issue is resolved or not. You can also resolve this by closing your company files and QuickBooks. Then, hit the right-click on the QuickBooks and choose the “Run as administrator” option. Follow displayed until the program is not finished.
Why does QuickBooks Error 6190, -82 happen?
This error appears when your enterprise log file is not matched with your company file. In any case, if your transaction file is not updated in the system where your company file is not updated. If you are still unable to resolve it, fix the data corruption. it might help you fix this error.
How can I restore the QuickBooks company file to get rid of QuickBooks 6190, -82?
From the QuickBooks homepage, open the file menu and choose the “Open or Restore” option. Then, you have to choose the “Restore a backup copy” and hit the click on the Next button. Now, you have to choose the Local Backup file and click on the Next button. Now, you have to browse the system, to find the back company file. Then, choose a folder where you want to save your restored company file.