What is QuickBooks Error 1328 & When does it Come?
QuickBooks Error 1328 typically occurs when the . tmp files located in the config. msi folder. This Update error comes with an error message “Error 1328. Error updating file C:\Confiq.Msi\PT62C7.tmp. System error-1072807676” which prevents you from performing any company files task.
QuickBooks Error 1328 occurs during installation, up-gradation, or uninstallation of this accounting software. The error states simply that the Error updating file C:\Config.Msi\PTXXX.tmp. This is most often because of program files or files from a previous edition of the accounting software. Some update files can also lead to this error, so you need to be cautious and always reset updates whenever you’re updating the software.
QuickBooks Error 1328 can be caused by a number of different issues, including missing or corrupt files, registry errors, and software conflicts. In most cases, resolving these issues will resolve the QuickBooks Error 1328 problem. If you are unable to open your QuickBooks application, you may need to resolve the underlying problems before you can use QuickBooks again. For example, if your files are missing or corrupt, you may need to reinstall QuickBooks or update your software. If you have registry errors, you may need to repair your registry settings.
In this post, you’ll learn how to resolve QuickBooks Error 1328.
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
- 1 What is QuickBooks Error 1328 & When does it Come?
- 2 What is QuickBooks error 1328?
- 3 The reason behind the QuickBooks Error 1328
- 4 Reevaluating the config.msi folder
- 5 Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1328
- 5.1 Solution 1: Locate & Rename the Config.msi File
- 5.2 Solution 2: Repair your QuickBooks Installation Process
- 5.3 Solution 3: Use Registry Repair Tool
- 5.4 Solution 4: Re-install QuickBooks using Clean Installation
- 5.5 Solution 5: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- 5.6 Solution 6: Update your Windows
- 6 FAQs
What is QuickBooks error 1328?
Quickbooks error 1328 mainly erupts when the user tries to update the QuickBooks software via third-party applications and the respective patch has expired that ended up being unmodified for future use. The main cause of this issue is related to temporary files (.temp files) stored under the folder named config.msi that hinders the process of repair and update in QuickBooks software.
This folder (config.msi) is stored as a temporary archive on a system used to place scripts that are generally required in the rollback of the installation process in case the software fails initially. Once the software gets installed successfully and runs smoothly, the file automatically gets removed from the system. However, sometimes the file does not get deleted automatically nor manually even after trying multiple times which leads to cropping up of QuickBooks Error Code 1328.
The same error can also crop up due to installation mismatch. Suppose the user has installed the QuickBooks desktop 2007 version but is using the license of a different one. In such a scenario, the user might face issues in completing the installation process successfully.
The reason behind the QuickBooks Error 1328
You may see another file name in the description of this error as it displays the file name that is causing the error in the application. QuickBooks finds error 1328 in the following situations:
Some possible reasons are given below for QuickBooks update error 1328:
- Wrong or improper installation.
- Corrupted or damaged software file.
- Due to malware or virus.
- Forced shutdown due to the power failure.
- Some wrong entries enter in the windows registry at the time of system installation.
- Issue while downloading the software.
To resolve the problem, the adept QuickBooks and Intuit customer care support team have accorded users a sire shot feasible solution. It is, however, to be noted that as the user does not know whether the resolution will work successfully or not, it is advised to follow the solution in the same pattern as illustrated below.
Furthermore, it is also recommended to try to open the software after trying the solution to ensure that the issue is resolved. If not, the user should immediately get in touch with the superlative QuickBooks customer care support team.
Reevaluating the config.msi folder
In case the error message crops up with three options, namely, Abort, Ignore, and Retry, then the course of action is to first rename the config.msi folder located on the desktop. This solution is chosen as the temporary files stored under the config.msi folder are restricting the software to get updated or repaired.
This folder (config.msi) is a temporary archive on a system used to place scripts that are generally required in the rollback of the installation process in case the software fails initially. Although once the software is properly installed and working in perfect condition the file stored gets deleted, however at times they don’t and also do not get removed even after trying manually.
In order to locate and rename the config.msi folder
follow the steps instructed below:
- Go to the start button and click on the icon followed by selecting the Explorer option in order to open Windows Explorer.
- Now locate, select and double click on C: drive.
1. Hidden Files and Folder
Go to Tools tab select Folder Options followed by ‘View’ Tab, clicking on Hidden files and folders and then selecting option Show hidden files and folders, ending with Apply and OK tab options
2. Protected Files of operating System
Steps to protect the file of the operating system
- Under this as well user needs to locate Tools from the menu bar and then select Folder options follow it with a tab labeled View and finish the process by selecting the option ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’ in order to de-check the option. Now click on Apply Button located at the end of the screen and then OK.
- The next step is to right-click on the file/folder named config.msi and then click on Rename option from the menu.
- In the field for renaming, type .old right after the name of the file followed by pressing on the ‘Enter’ key which should change the name to config.msi.old.
At the end to complete the process, the user is required to hide the ‘Hidden’ files and folders along with Protected Operating System files through the steps instructed below:
3. Hidden Files and Folder
Go to Tools tab select Folder Options followed by ‘View’ Tab, clicking on Hidden files and folders and then selecting option hide files and folders, ending with Apply and OK tab options
4. Hide Protected Files of operating System
Under this as well user needs to locate Tools from the menu bar and then select Folder options follow it with the tab labeled View and finish the process by selecting the option ‘Hide Protected Operating System Files’ to check the option. Now click on Apply Button located at the end of the screen and then OK.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 1328
Solution 1: Locate & Rename the Config.msi File
When QuickBooks error 1328 strikes, the first solution you need to do is to find and rename the Config.msi Folder on your system. As a matter of fact, Config.msi contains the temporary files that may prevent QuickBooks from performing. So let’s go through the steps that you need to perform on your own;
- At first, hit a right-click on the Start button & then select explore.
- Now, you need to double-click on the C drive key.
- This will display all your hidden files or folders.
- For this, you would have to tap on the tools option, and then select the folder.
- Select all hidden files as well as folders once you’ve viewed the tab option
- Then make a click to apply all changes you have made, and then press the OK tab.
- After selecting the config.msi, you have to choose Rename from the drop-down menu.
- Take the cursor to the end of the file name and add .old ^ press Enter to save the changes.
- This will hide and protect your operating system files including all necessary hidden files & folders again on your system.
Solution 2: Repair your QuickBooks Installation Process
If your QuickBooks Installation process is damaged then you need to repair it in order to get rid of QuickBooks error 1328. Here’s how;
- With the help of administrative permissions, you are required to log through the windows.
- Now, you need to click on the Windows Control Panel and then select Programs & Features.
- This will locate the QuickBooks product heading section, choose it and then press the uninstall/change button.
- Once the QuickBooks installer appears on your screen, choose the Repair option tab.
- Furthermore, you have to run the QuickBooks application on your system and need to use the patch when it completes.
- The patch will be applied only if a user is fortunate.
Solution 3: Use Registry Repair Tool
QuickBooks error 1328 can be resolved if you use the Registry Repair tool in a proper manner. To do so, check out the steps given below;
- You have to first apply any registry repair tool and then repair the damaged registry Entries that are related to the QuickBooks Application.
- After that, use a malware removal tool and fix any type of malware infectious attack from your system.
- You also have to remove all the unwanted or junk files from your system.
- It is also essential to uninstall all the outdated PC Device Drivers.
- Now, perform a restore by doing “Undo” with the help of Recent System Changes, this applies to your Windows System.
- First, you need to uninstall and then reinstall the QuickBooks application.
- Start to run your Windows System File Checker through scanning.
- Lastly, ready to install all essential Windows Updates.
Solution 4: Re-install QuickBooks using Clean Installation
To avoid QuickBooks error 1328, the users are required to reinstall QuickBooks software using a clean installation. The Clean installation is done in two ways. Here’s the process to do it manually;
- The very first step is to make an un-installation of a QuickBooks Software.
- After that, you need to create a clean installation of this accounting software process.
- For this, you can choose one of the given options that are discussed here.
- In the first option, you have to make the installation process of a QuickBooks as directly from the installation CD drive.
- Secondly, you can also install QuickBooks software through a downloaded file as given on your computer.
- Installing QuickBooks software directly from a CD is too easy for the users.
- Thus, you can download or simply install the QuickBooks program with the help of a manual guide.
Solution 5: Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- To begin with, exit QuickBooks.
- Now, you have to download the most recent version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Navigate to downloads and open the downloaded .exe file.
- Then, start installing the tool hub by following the on-screen instructions.
- You need to mark agree to the terms and conditions box.
- Once the installation completes, the QuickBooks Tool Hub icon will pop up on the desktop.
After this, you can run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool;
- Firstly, double-click on the icon to open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Under the tool hub, click Installation Issues.
- Next, select QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- Let the tool run to fix the installation errors. It may take around 20 minutes to finish the process.
- Finally, restart your system once the tool completes the repairing process.
Solution 6: Update your Windows
You need to keep your windows up-to-date if you don’t want to encounter QuickBooks error 1328 anymore. Here are the instructions you need to follow;
- Hit the Windows button and tap on the Start menu and then choose the gear/settings option.
- Select Update & Security tab under settings.
- After this, opt for the Windows Update option from the Update and Security option.
- Now, click on the Check for Updates icon.
QuickBooks Error 1328 is a message that is displayed on the QuickBooks desktop when the user tries to open the QuickBooks application. This error occurs when the QuickBooks installation is incomplete or when there are some problems with the QuickBooks files.
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Are the program files damaged if I get other issues along with QuickBooks error 1328?
One common QuickBooks error is the “General Error” message. This message appears when QuickBooks cannot connect to the database or when there is a problem with the file that it’s trying to access. To fix this error, you can try repairing your QuickBooks files. You can also try using a different version of QuickBooks or getting in touch with our team.
While I’m getting QuickBooks error 1328, how do I save my files?
If you’re experiencing another type of error, such as an inability to save or open files, there’s a good chance that you can fix it using a tool. Many of these errors can be fixed by downloading and installing the latest version of QuickBooks, by changing your computer settings, or by contacting QuickBooks support.
How do I clean install the software to fix QuickBooks error 1328?
You can clean install the software by using the clean installation utility available for free. This utility clears all the previous QuickBooks program files stored on your system. So you have a chance to install a fresh copy of the software all together. Further, you can use the QuickBooks install diagnostic tool to ensure that your system can successfully install and run QuickBooks desktop.