Are you using QuickBooks as your business accounting tool? This tool is the perfect option to get advanced and beneficial filters for account management. But there are some specific errors that users can face in this accounting tool.
When any user wants to run any application after updating it, sometimes the system shows the error that “QuickBooks already has a company file open”. It is one of the common errors that are faced by users of QuickBooks. If you are also facing this error in your QuickBooks tool, you always want a quick solution to resolve this issue of QuickBooks.
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
- 1 Causes of QuickBooks Already Has a Company File Open
- 2 The Way of Solving Error “QuickBooks already has a Company File Open”
- 2.1 Method 1: Restart Your Computer
- 2.2 Method 2: Open QuickBooks Company File Straightforwardly
- 2.3 Method 3: Prevent Desktop Window from Automatic Opening
- 2.4 Method 4: Rename The TLG and ND Document
- 2.5 Method 5: Move The QuickBooks Company File to Another Location
- 2.6 Method 6: Move The QuickBooks Company File to Another Location
- 2.7 Method 7: Rename The QuickBooks Company File
- 2.8 Method 8: Update your QuickBooks Desktop software
- 2.9 Method 9: Verify your QuickBooks company file
- 2.10 Method 10: Discover The Reasons Behind The Error Occurring
- 2.11 Method 11: Disable Workstations Hosting
- 2.12 Method 12: Verify Your File Properties
- 2.13 Method 13: Run a Quick Fix My Program from Tools Hub
- 3 FAQs
Causes of QuickBooks Already Has a Company File Open
If you are also one of the users who are facing this issue in QuickBooks, you should know that it can be caused when an application or company file is not closed properly after use. There can be many other reasons that you are facing this in your QuickBooks system. If you want to get a solution to this error, you need to find out which QuickBooks processes are running in the background and then you need to close all these applications and processes of QuickBooks in your system.
If you want to solve this error in your QuickBooks system, first of all, you need to visit your task manager in Windows. Then you need to check all applications and processes that are related to QuickBooks or start with .qb. After highlighting all these processes in task manager, you need to click on and task option. It will close all other applications and processes of QuickBooks that are running in the background. Then you need to try to open your company data file again and this process can solve this error or issue in your system.
Following are some of the most common issues that we face whenever this error occurs.
- When a QuickBooks company file or folder is not closed properly, then, this error occurs.
- Access denied error(folder permission – issue)
- QuickBooks company file or folder is already open
- QuickBooks company file (QBW) is corrupted or damaged.
- When all the background process of the QuickBooks is interrupted by the third party application
The Way of Solving Error “QuickBooks already has a Company File Open”
There are 12 step solutions or methods to rectifying the QuickBooks Already Has a company file open; which are as listed below;
- Restart The Computer
- Open QuickBooks Company File Straightforwardly
- Prevent Desktop Window from Automatic Opening
- Rename The TLG and ND Document
- Move The QuickBooks Company File to Another Location
- Rename The QuickBooks Company File
- Update your QuickBooks Desktop software
- Verify your QuickBooks company file
- Discover The Reasons Behind The Error Occurring
- Disable Workstations Hosting
- Verify Your File Properties
- Run a Quick Fix My Program from Tools Hub
To figure out the “QuickBooks already has a Company File Open” error issue, perform the below solutions one by one:
Method 1: Restart Your Computer
3 reliable troubleshooting steps to get rid of QuickBooks already has a Company file open Perform each and every step in sequence in order to get your error resolved with much ease:
Step 1: Close your QuickBooks process from the Task Manager
Below are the steps to close your QuickBooks process from Task Manager:
- Initially, open your Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys from your keyboard
- Next, go to the Details tab
- Now, you have to pick one of the services from the list and then press key Q from your console
- Then you’re asked to QuickBooks
- Here, you have to click on the QBW32.EXE, QBDBMgr.exe
- Finally, hit the End Task button.
Step 2: Close all your QuickBooks Processes immediately
Follow the below instructions to close all QB processes at the same time in the case, if you don’t want to close each QuickBooks process individually.
- First, open your Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys from your keyboard
- Next, go to the Processes tab
- Now, click QuickBooks >> End Task
- At last, attempt to open your QuickBooks once again.
Step 3: Try to restart your PC
In order to resolve QuickBooks already has a Company file open issue or if you don’t wish to manually close your QuickBooks Processes individually then follow the below instructions:
- Go to the Start menu
- And then click the Power key
- After that, select Restart
- Once the PC will be re-launched then try to open your QuickBooks once again.
In case, the error message still exists in QuickBooks POS (Point of Sale) when you make a connection with your QuickBooks
You may come across an error message “QuickBooks already has a company file open” while syncing your data from QBPOS to QB. It usually arises when Point of Sale is unable to identify where the QuickBooks company file is hosted.
To rectify this issue, you can perform the below instructions:
- Firstly, open your QuickBooks Desktop
- Next, move to the File menu >> Utilities >> Switch to Single-User Mode
- If it prompts to switch to Multi-User mode
- Go to the Edit >> Processes
- Hit the Integrated Application on the left pane
- Again go to the Company Preferences
- Here, you have select QuickBooks Desktop POS
- Lastly, click Remove followed by Ok.
Important Note: It will affect your previous QuickBooks Point of Sales which was received in QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 2: Open QuickBooks Company File Straightforwardly
The first thing you have to do open the QuickBooks company file straightforwardly from the QuickBooks Desktop with these steps
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop first
- Then, you have to open the “QuickBooks Company file” straightforwardly with a single click
- This arrangement is useful in the event of “Folder Permission” issues.
Method 3: Prevent Desktop Window from Automatic Opening
Make sure about the QuickBooks desktop window. Prevent this window from automatic opening.
If you find more than one windows open in the company file, and then attempt to prevent all of them from automatic opening.
Method 4: Rename The TLG and ND Document
The next step is to rename the TLG and ND document that goes with the QuickBooks Company file
- In any case, if TLG and ND records that go with the QuickBooks Company record is corrupted or damaged, then rename both the TLG and ND company files.
- The explanation is that renaming these files leads to opening the QuickBooks Company document.
Method 5: Move The QuickBooks Company File to Another Location
Move the QuickBooks Company file to another location with these steps:
- If the QuickBooks Company file is available in the system drive, move it to the local drive of the PC framework that is being utilized.
- In any case, if the local folder opens and troubleshoots the system network configuration. Then you have to proceed forward to run the “QuickBooks File Doctor tool”
Method 6: Move The QuickBooks Company File to Another Location
Must be sure about the properties and File Extension of QuickBooks Company File
- To go with these, check and make sure about properties and the “File extension”.
- Ensure that the sort of file is ‘QuickBooks Company document’ and the file size limit up to 7MB.
Method 7: Rename The QuickBooks Company File
The final step is to do to “Rename the QuickBooks Company File”
- First of all, rename the QuickBooks Company file with a new name but make sure not more than 3 letters
- Additionally, the first file extension must be kept equivalent.
Method 8: Update your QuickBooks Desktop software
Steps to Update QuickBooks desktop to the latest:
- To begin with, verifying whether the installed QuickBooks version is the latest one or not
- If your QuickBooks version is not outdated or you have not installed the latest QuickBooks released then you’re required to update your software version with the latest one which you can easily get on Intuit’s official website.
Method 9: Verify your QuickBooks company file
Follow the Instructions to Verify the QuickBooks Company File:
- Find the company file and look for a folder for a file which ends with an extension .exe (However, there are numerous file types available in QuickBooks Desktop but make sure that you only look for the .qbw file)
- Next, you have to manually verify whether the .qbw file is open or not
- If your file is successfully open then it is not an error otherwise the file itself gets corrupted or damaged.
Method 10: Discover The Reasons Behind The Error Occurring
How to Identify Whether the Company File Is Damaged or Causing Your QuickBooks Error:
- To start with opening Windows Start menu
- Next, locate the File Explorer and then try to open the same
- Once your File Manager is opened then look for the QuickBooks.exe file which you find in your QB folder
- At last, to open the QuickBooks.exe file, you have to hold and make double-clicking on the same
- Make sure that you do not release the CTRL key until you open the QuickBooks Desktop. Now, try opening a company file if it doesn’t open, then try a sample file one more time. If the sample file does not load up as well, the program itself is an issue.
Method 11: Disable Workstations Hosting
You have to do separate steps for the Server and Workstation:
A. For server
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop and then go to the File menu >> Utilities
- If “Host Host Multi-User Access” option appears then you have to select the same
- Again, you have to repeat the same procedure to select the “Stop Host Multi-User Access” in order to reset the multi-user mode
- One last time, repeat the same procedure and pick the “Host Multi-User Access”.
B. For Workstations
- Launch your QuickBooks or any of the workstations on the network
- Go to the File menu and then verify whether the “Host Multi-User Access” available under the Utilities or not
- In case it appears and your system is not causing any issue
- In case, the option called “Stop Hosting Multi-User Access” pops up on your screen
- Finally, repeat the same steps for all workstations on the network.
Method 12: Verify Your File Properties
Steps to Verify Your File Properties in QuickBooks:
- In the beginning, make a right-click on the QuickBooks icon or shortcut
- Next, click on the Run as an Admin
- Now, go to the Preferences >> Edit menu
- Click General in the left pane and then go to the My Preferences tab
- Clear the checkbox named keep QuickBooks running for quick startups followed by OK tab
- In the end, close QuickBooks and then restart your system.
Method 13: Run a Quick Fix My Program from Tools Hub
Use the QuickBooks Tools Hub by following the steps below to quickly fix my program:
- Initially, download the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- And then start the software installation
- Once the installation is successfully done then run a repair of the QuickBooks Installation file
- To finish the process, complete on-screen instructions.
Get help of QuickBooks technical support service providers:
If you are still unable to find a good solution to this error in your QuickBooks system, you can also find a solution with QuickBooks service providers. There are many service providers available that you can contact at any time to find the solution to your “QuickBooks already has a company file open” problem in your system.
They will help you in the best way to find out the proper solution to this in your QuickBooks tool. You will find 24/7 services with these support service providers so you can contact them anytime and can easily get a permanent solution to any kind of error or problem in your accounting tool.
Get Expert’s Advice to Fix Your All Accounting & Bookkeeping Problems
Can’t open QuickBooks as of now has a company file open?
Hit your first click on the “Edit menu” and then choose the “Preferences.” Select the Desktop View tab. After that, click on “don’t save the desktop” and click on OK. Then, close and return QuickBooks and open your company file once more.
How would I open the existing company file in QuickBooks?
Open your QuickBooks first and then click on the “Open or Restore” for the existing company file. After then choose “Open a company file” proceed forward with the NEXT click. Then, jump to the next window, find your “Company File” (with a green symbol before the name or. qbw toward the finish of the name) utilizing that specific location where you paste the company file. When you find it, the feature then clicks on the “Open” button.
For what reason is QuickBooks not opening?
The main reason behind the QuickBooks not responding is a corrupted or damaged hard drive. The organization’s name is excessively long or broad.